It is very essential to get periods on time for overall reproductive health. Here any deviance from expected arrival of period is a major concern for any woman. It may trigger problems in getting pregnant and it may give rise to other health issues. It can make you emotionally vulnerable and you may develop low self-confidence because you start questioning your ability to give birth to a baby . So, you should not ignore this health problem if you are already suffering from this.
What is an irregular period?
Normal menstrual flow comes within every 21 to 35 days. Any deviation from this time period can be considered as an irregular period , like, if you get a period more frequently like before the gap of 21 days or you wait more than 35 days then it is an obvious sign that you are troubled with irregular periods. Or if you don't get periods on a regular time period like sometimes you are getting periods within 21 -35 days gap but sometimes you are waiting more or getting early than this then it's a sign of irregular periods.
Sometimes you may get to hear that 28days of a periodic cycle is absolutely unique for any woman but that's not the truth. Don't get stressed out by that misleading information. The 21-35 days gap is healthy, and getting a period within this time frame is absolutely okay.
There are some occasional irregular periods
Sometimes we face menstrual irregularities which are absolutely normal due to physiological changes that are nothing to worry about or that condition is temporary once the situation changes the irregularity of periods gets recovered. Like -
- Lactating mother
- Pregnant woman
- Any severe illness
What causes irregular periods?
There are loads of reasons that can lead you to irregular periods . some of those reasons are-
- Hormonal imbalance - high level of prolactin production in the body may lead you to get irregular periods. This is a common situation in pregnant women but sometimes it can be seen in non-pregnant women as well.
- Thyroid dysfunction - hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism both can be responsible for irregular periods.
- Uncontrolled blood sugar - abnormal blood sugar level may lead to irregular periods.
- Too much physical exercises
- Using birth control pills
- Adrenal gland disorder
- Hormonal IUDs
- Psychiatric medications
- Eating disorder (anorexia nervosa / anorexia bulimia)
- Primary ovarian insufficiency - before reaching at the age of 40 if the ovary stops working in any woman then it is called primary ovarian insufficiency .
Treatment for menstrual irregularities
Menstrual irregularity is a matter of concern especially when this is seeking serious intervention. In the field of medicine there are some treatments which doctors generally recommend to treat patients. Some of those treatment s are -
- Oral contraceptives
- Cyclic progestin therapy
- Nutritional therapy
- Weight management
Home remedies for irregular periods
There are lots of home remedies to cure this irregular period.
- Ginger - ginger is highly beneficial for women who are facing menstrual irregularities. Having beaten ginger with lukewarm water is extremely beneficial for your reproductive health. You should do this regularly for a month especially after having meals. You can notice the changes on your own.
- Cinnamon - cinnamon is believed to have a warming effect on the body. Women who have diabetic problems can go for this because it helps to regulate insulin level in the blood. Mix half teaspoon of cinnamon powder with milk or warm water and have it. Do this for several weeks and get the result.
- Sesame seeds and jaggery - sesame seeds along with jaggery is a unique treatment for irregular periods. Dry roasted sesame powder with jaggery is herbal medicine for irregular periods.
- Aloe vera - mix aloevera gel with honey and consume it regularly you will see effect after some days.but you should not follow this therapy while you are in your periods.
- Unripe papaya - drink unripe papaya juice for a few months and you will get results. It is also helpful for women who have abnormal cramps during periods.
- Turmeric - turmeric does not only help with irregular periods but also with menstrual cramps. Drinking turmeric milk is very beneficial for menstrual health.
- Coriander seeds - Boil coriander seeds along with water and drink regularly.That will help you a lot to regulate your periods. Or you can drink coriander juice regularly for a few months.
- Fennels - fennels are highly beneficial for female reproductive health. Soak fennel seeds overnight and in the morning drink that water after filtering seeds. Do this for a few months and you will get good results.
- Mint - Combination of dry mint leaves and honey is a unique herbal therapy for irregular periods. Mix one tablespoon of honey with a decent amount of mint leaves and consume it daily. It will give you benefit changes after a month or so.
- Carrot juice - carrot juice helps you to fight with anemia and hormonal imbalance therefore drinking carrot juice regularly enhance your overall health as well as regulate your menstrual flow.
Lifestyle changes to follow:
- Get adequate sleep
- Drink enough water
- Maintain hygiene
- Have a healthy diet
- Reduce mental stress